About the Directory
The Official Directory of the Catholic Church in Australia provides extensive information about the Catholic Church across Australia. The organisations mentioned in The Official Directory are recognised by the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference as being approved Catholic organisations.
The information is supplied by the different Catholic authorities to the publishers of The Official Directory, The National Council of Priests of Australia (NCP). The NCP publishes The Official Directory as a service to the Catholic Church.
About the NCP
The National Council of Priests is an Australian organisation of Catholic clergy - Bishops, Priests and Deacons - who join together to support each other in their priestly ministry. Founded in 1971 by the priests of Australia, the NCP is a professional organisation of clergy working for the good of all clergy and offering services to the Catholic Church.
The Objects and Purposes of the Council:
- To promote a spirit of fraternity among the members and other clerics of the Catholic Church is Australia
- To devise ways and means for members and others to better serve the people to whom they are called to minister.
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and to promote the spirit of ecumenism and to establish ecumenical links
- To effect a liaison with other national bodies of religious men and women and with national bodies of laity
- To maintain contact with similar associations
- To be a consultative body to the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference.
Some of the NCP Activities:
- Builds links between Australian clergy - Bishops, Priests and Deacons.
- Publish a quarterly magazine The Swag which is sent to all Catholic Clergy.
- Publish a quarterly Members Bulletin which is sent to members.
- Represents clergy at the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference.
- Collaborates with the Leaders of Religious Institutes.
- Sponsors a bi-annual NCP Convention to which all clergy are invited.
- Sponsors clergy in ongoing education through bursaries.
- Maintains an active interest in Clergy Renewal.
- Initiated and supports the Australian Catholic Clergy Relief Fund which assists clergy in poorer Australian dioceses.
- Is a founding member and Committee member of the International Committee of English Speaking Priests.
- Coordinates and assists in the program for the Remuneration of Catholic Clergy.
- Publishes the "Official Directory of the Catholic Church of Australia".
- Publishes the Australian Catholic Clergy Contact List Directory.
- Represents Diocesan Clergy on the Bishops' Committee for Professional Standards.
NCP National Office
PO Box 295, Belmont Victoria 3216
74 Fryers Road, Belmont Victoria 3216
Ph: (03) 5244 3680
Fax: (03) 5244 4762